ATTENTION: The new home of the Digital Forensics Wiki is at https://forensicswiki.xyz/. Yeah, it's a silly name, but it was cheap.
This wiki will be going offline permanently in the near future. An exact date will be announced soon. Thank you for being a part of this community.
If you wish to work on the new forensicswiki, please join the Google Group forensicswiki-reborn
Here are some of the standards by country that we have been able to find regarding the disk sanitization problem:
- RCMP TSSIT OPS-II 8 pass wipe.
- NIST 800-88 - Guidelines for Data Sanitation, Sept 2006
- Disposition of Unclassified DoD Computer Hard Drives, Assistant Secretary of Defense, June 4, 2001
- DoD 5200.28-STD, Department of Defense Trusted Computer System Evaluation Criteria, December 26, 1985
- DoD 5220.22-M National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual, January 1995, incorporating Change One (July 1997) and Change Two (February 2001)
- Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory, Overwrite process using a sequence of 35 consecutive writes. First published in the Sixth USENIX Security Symposium Proceedings, San Jose, Ca, July 22-25, 1996