ATTENTION: The new home of the Digital Forensics Wiki is at https://forensicswiki.xyz/. Yeah, it's a silly name, but it was cheap.
This wiki will be going offline permanently in the near future. An exact date will be announced soon. Thank you for being a part of this community.
If you wish to work on the new forensicswiki, please join the Google Group forensicswiki-reborn
Steganography is a science that pertains to the art of concealing data in a communication in such a way that only the sender and receiver know of its existance and method of access. The platform used for transmission can be anything from a paper document to a digital file. Additionally, it is more common than not to encrypt the hidden data whenever possible such as with digital files or images. The detection of steganographically encoded packages is called steganalysis.
Algorithms and Tools
- StegoArchive.com An excellent resource for freeware/shareware steganography application downloads.
- Digital Invisible Ink Toolkit is a Java steanography tool that hides any file in a JPEG. http://diit.sourceforge.net/
- Hide In Picture is an open source stegnographic tool. http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=42816&package_id=34960&release_id=67439
- M5, by Andreas Westfeld, is both a steganographic tool and algorithm. It hides information in JPEGs. An attack was developed by Jessica Fridrich, Miroslav Goljan, and Dorin Hogea. Information can be found at http://wwwrn.inf.tu-dresden.de/~westfeld/f5.html .
- Publimark hides text in audio files. http://perso.orange.fr/gleguelv/soft/publimark/index.html
- DeepSound is a Windows tool that hides data in audio files