Steganography is a science that pertains to the art of concealing data in a communication in such a way that only the sender and receiver know of its existance and method of access. The platform used for transmission can be anything from a paper document to a digital file. Additionally, it is more common than not to encrypt the hidden data whenever possible such as with digital files or images.
- Steganography Analysis and Research Center The Steganography Analysis and Research Center is a Center of Excellence within Backbone Security focused exclusively on steganography research and development of steganalysis products and services.
Algorithms and Tools
- StegoArchive.com An excellent resource for freeware/shareware steganography application downloads.
- Digital Invisible Ink Toolkit is a Java steanography tool that hides any file in a JPEG. http://diit.sourceforge.net/
- Hide In Picture is an open source stegnographic tool. http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=42816&package_id=34960&release_id=67439
- M5, by Andreas Westfeld, is both a steganographic tool and algorithm. It hides information in JPEGs. An attack was developed by Jessica Fridrich, Miroslav Goljan, and Dorin Hogea. Information can be found at http://wwwrn.inf.tu-dresden.de/~westfeld/f5.html .
- Publimark hides text in audio files. http://perso.orange.fr/gleguelv/soft/publimark/index.html