ForensicsWiki will continue to operate as it has before and will not be shutting down. Thank you for your continued support of ForensicsWiki.
Carver 2.0 Planning Page
Revision as of 18:05, 27 October 2008 by RB (Adding a couple of validators, fleshing out configuration ideas, adding a couple of questions/comments)
This page is for planning Carver 2.0.
- AFF and EWF file images supported from scratch.
- File system aware layer.
- By default, files are not carved.
- Plug-in architecture for identification/validation.
- Can we exercise libmagic or at least the patterns they identify?
- Ship with validators for:
- TAR (gz/bz2)
- Simple fragment recovery carving using gap carving.
- Recovering of individual ZIP sections and JPEG icons that are not sector aligned.
- Autonomous operation.
- Tested on 500GB-sized images. Should be able to carve a 500GB image in roughly 50% longer than it takes to read the image.
- Perhaps allocate a percentage budget per-validator (i.e. each validator adds N% to the carving time)
- Can read Scalpel and Foremost config files.
- Disengage internal configuration structure from configuration files, create parsers that present the expected structure
- Either extend Scalpel/Foremost syntaxes for extended features or create a tertiary syntax, at which point a converter would likely be useful.
- Can output audit.txt file.
- Easy integration into ascription software.
- Use as much TSK if possible. Don't carry your own FS implementation there way photorec does.