Carver 2.0 Planning Page
Revision as of 14:05, 27 October 2008 by RB
This page is for planning Carver 2.0.
- AFF and EWF file images supported from scratch.
- File system aware layer.
- By default, files are not carved.
- Plug-in architecture for identification/validation.
- Can we exercise libmagic or at least the patterns they identify?
- Ship with validators for:
- TAR (gz/bz2)
- Simple fragment recovery carving using gap carving.
- Recovering of individual ZIP sections and JPEG icons that are not sector aligned.
- Autonomous operation.
- Tested on 500GB-sized images. Should be able to carve a 500GB image in roughly 50% longer than it takes to read the image.
- Perhaps allocate a percentage budget per-validator (i.e. each validator adds N% to the carving time)
- Can read Scalpel and Foremost config files.
- Disengage internal configuration structure from configuration files, create parsers that present the expected structure
- Either extend Scalpel/Foremost syntaxes for extended features or create a tertiary syntax, at which point a converter would likely be useful.
- Can output audit.txt file.
- Easy integration into ascription software.
- Use as much TSK if possible. Don't carry your own FS implementation there way photorec does.