- Search integrated in operating system
- Transactional NTFS (TxF)
- Transactional Registry (TxR)
- Shadow Volumes; the volume-based storage of the Volume Shadow Copy data
- Windows XML Event Log (EVTX)
- User Account Control (UAC)
The file system used by Windows Vista is primarily NTFS.
In Windows Vista, NTFS no longer tracks the Last Access time of a file by default. This feature can be enabled by the user if desired via setting the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate' to '0'. Note that this feature has been around since as early as Windows 2000 .
The Windows Registry remains a central component of the Windows Vista operating system.