Acquiring BlackBerry Backup File (.ipd)
1. Plug in BlackBerry via USB (drivers available from ).
2. Run the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, available from .
3. Click Backup and Restore.
4. Click Backup.
This is a step by step guide to downloading and using a Blackberry simulator. For this example I downloaded version 4.0.2 in order to simulate the 9230 series.
1. Select a simulator to download from the drop-down list on the Blackberry website. Click Next.
2. Look through the list and download BlackBerry Handheld Simulator v126.96.36.199.
Opening Blackberry Backup Files (.IPD)
1. Purchase Amber BlackBerry Converter from 
Download Trial Version
2. Use File | Open and point the program to the BlackBerry backup file (.IPD).
3. Navigate to the appropriate content by using the navigator icons on the left.