Warning for BlackBerry Forensics
BlackBerry devices come with password protection. The owner has the capability to protect all data on the phone with a password. The user may also specify the amount of attempts for entering the password before wiping all data from the device.
Acquiring BlackBerry Backup File (.ipd)
1. Open Blackberry’s Desktop Manager
2. Click “Options” then “Connection Settings”
4. Select “USB-PIN: 2016CC12” for connection
5. Click “Detect”, then it should show a dialog box saying it found the device
6. Click "OK" to return to the main menu
7. Double click “Backup and Restore”
8. Click "Backup"
9. Save the .ipd file
Opening Blackberry Backup Files (.ipd)
1. Purchase Amber BlackBerry Converter from 
Download Trial Version
2. Use File | Open and point the program to the BlackBerry backup file (.ipd).
3. Navigate to the appropriate content by using the navigator icons on the left.
This is a step by step guide to downloading and using a BlackBerry simulator. For this example I downloaded version 4.0.2 in order to simulate the 9230 series.
1. Select a simulator to download from the drop-down list on the BlackBerry website. Click Next.
2. Look through the list and download BlackBerry Handheld Simulator v184.108.40.206.
3. Enter your proper user credentials and click Next to continue.
4. On the next page, reply accordingly to the eligibility prompt and click Next to continue.*
5. Agree or disagree to the SDK agreement and click Submit to continue.*
6. The next page will provide you with a link to download the .ZIP file containing the wanted simulator.
- - If you disagree at any of these points you will not be able to continue to the download.
7. Extract the files to a folder that can easily be accessed (I used the desktop).
9. In the BlackBerry 7230 Simulator window, select Simulate | USB Cable Connected. Refer to Figure __ for further reference.
10. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager. If there are no Outlook profiles created there will be a prompt on how to create one. Click OK to continue. If the BlackBerry xxxx Simulator has properly connected to the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, Connected should be displayed at the bottom of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager window. Refer to Figure __ for further reference.
11. Double click Backup and Restore | select Restore.... Refer to Figure __ for further reference.
12. Navigate to the directory where an .ipd file that has been previously backed up is stored and select Open to load that file to the Simulator. See the Acquiring BlackBerry Backup File[] section above on information on how to backup a physical BlackBerry.
Below is an example of a 7510 simulator. These simulators ARE capable of connecting to BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
Acquisition with Paraben's Device Seizure
1. Create a new case in Device Seizure with File | New.
2. Give the case a name and fill in any desired information about the case on the next two screens. Nothing is actually required to be entered. The third screen is a summary of the data entered. If all data is correct click Next and then Finish.
3. You are now ready to acquire the phone. Go to Tools | Data Acquisition.
8. Confirm your selections on the summary page and click Next to start the acquisition.