ForensicsWiki will continue to operate as it has before and will not be shutting down. Thank you for your continued support of ForensicsWiki.
The SIM Card is the basic memory device inside of many mobile phones in use today. This small piece of hardware has been key to solving many cases in the world of SIM Card Forensics. However, without the proper knowledge of the SIM card's filesystem, the user will be missing out on all the valuable information the SIM Card holds.
This is a list of items to get you started on reading SIM Cards and their information:
Quick Guide for SIMCon
- Make sure the SIM Card Reader with SIM Card is connected
- Open SIMCon
- Click File > Read SIM or Click in the upper left corner of SIMCon
- Click OK when the next dialog box pops up
- Note, some SIM cards are locked. This is where the PIN needs to be entered if known.
- If the PIN is unknown, the SIM cannot be read.
- Click OK again when the next dialog box pops up
- Only one MF
- The Master File (MF)
- Root of the SIM Card file system
- Equivalent to the root directory or "/" in the Linux filesystem
- Dedicated Files (DF)
- Equivalent to a folder in a Windows/Linux filesystem
- Usually three DF's
- DF_GSM / DF_DCS1800 / DF_TELECOM
DF_DCS1800 / DF_GSM
- Contains network related information
- Specifying data in DF_GSM writes only to DF_GSM on the SIM
- The SIM is expected to mirror GSM and DCS1800
- Contains the service related information
- Elementary Files (EF)
- Holds one to many records
- Represent the leaf node of the filesystem
- EF's sit below the DF's in the filesystem hierarchy
- Public Land Mobile Network
- A PLMN is a network that is established and operated by an administration or by a recognized operating agency (ROA) for the specific purpose of providing land mobile telecommunications services to the public. 
- Location Area Identity
- Each location area of a public land mobile network (PLMN) has its own unique identifier which is known as Location Area Identity (LAI). 
This displays the ID or Card Identity of the SIM Card, this can also be found on the SIM card itself.
- International Mobile Subscriber Identity (IMSI)
- 310 - 260 - 653235860
- MCC - MNC - MSIN
- List of all PLMN's (see Sim_Filesystem#PLMN)
- Location Information