Carver 2.0 Planning Page
This page is for planning Carver 2.0.
- AFF and EWF file images supported from scratch.
- File system aware layer.
- By default, files are not carved.
- Plug-in architecture for identification/validation.
- Can we exercise libmagic or at least the patterns they identify?
- Ship with validators for:
- TAR (gz/bz2)
- Simple fragment recovery carving using gap carving.
- Recovering of individual ZIP sections and JPEG icons that are not sector aligned.
- Autonomous operation (what is it? .FUF 19:18, 28 October 2008 (UTC)).
- Tested on 500GB-sized images. Should be able to carve a 500GB image in roughly 50% longer than it takes to read the image.
- Perhaps allocate a percentage budget per-validator (i.e. each validator adds N% to the carving time)
- Can handle config files,like Revit07, to enter different file formats used by the carver.
- Disengage internal configuration structure from configuration files, create parsers that present the expected structure
- Either extend Scalpel/Foremost syntaxes for extended features or create a tertiary syntax, at which point a converter would likely be useful.
- Can output audit.txt file.
- Easy integration into ascription software.
- Use as much TSK if possible. Don't carry your own FS implementation there way photorec does.
- Extracting/carving data from Thumbs.db? I've used foremost for it with some success. Vinetto has some critical bugs :( .FUF 19:18, 28 October 2008 (UTC)
- Carving data structures. For example, extract all TCP headers from image by defining TCP header structure and some fields (e.g. source port > 1024, dest port = 80). This will extract all data matching the pattern and write a file with other fields. Another example is carving INFO2 structures and URL activity records from index.dat
The main idea is to allow users to define structures, for example (in pascal-like form):
Field1: Byte = 123; SomeTextLength: DWORD; SomeText: string[SomeTextLength]; Field4: Char = 'r'; ...
This will produce something like this:
Field1 = 123 SomeTextLength = 5 SomeText = 'abcd1' Field4 = 'r'
(In text or raw forms.)
.FUF 20:51, 28 October 2008 (UTC)
Supported File Systems
Build a large list of supported filesystems. File carving programs ignore the filesystem, but this doesn't mean that they support all of them. Do we support Reiser4 with tail packing? Or exFAT? Or NTFS with compression? Document this. .FUF 19:18, 28 October 2008 (UTC)