- Research Ideas
Interested in doing research in computer forensics? Looking for a master's topic, or just some ideas for a research paper? Here is my list. Please feel free to add your own ideas.
Process the entire disk with one pass, or at most two, to minimize seek time.
Automatically detect falsified digital evidence.
Detect and diagnose sanitization attempts.
- Replace the AFF "BADFLAG" approach for indicating bad data with a bad sector bitmap.
- Modify aimage so that it can take a partial disk image and a disk and just image what's missing.
- Improve the data recovery features of aimage.
- Replace AFF's current table-of-contents system with one based on B+ Trees.
Create a JPEG decompresser that supports restarts and checkpointing for use in high-speed carving.
Cell Phone Exploitation
Develop a tool for imaging the contents of a cell phone memory
- Develop a tool for reassembling information in a cell phone memory
Realistic Disk Corpora
There is need for realistic corpora that can be freely redistributed but do not contain any confidential personally identifiable information (PII).
These disk images may be either of an external drive or of a system boot drive. The drive images should have signs of wear --- that is, they should have resident files, deleted files, partially overwritten files, contiguous files, and fragmented files.
Realistic Network Traffic
Generating realistic network traffic requires constructing a test network and either recording interactions within the network or with an external network.