Difference between revisions of "Document Metadata Extraction"
m (→Images: added Exiftool)
|Line 26:||Line 26:|
: More than 100 file types.
: More than 100 file types.
Revision as of 12:42, 30 August 2011
Here are tools that will extract metadata from document files.
- Extracts metadata from various Microsoft Word files (doc). Can also convert doc files to other formats such as HTML or plain text.
- Outside In
- Originally developed by Stellant, supports hundreds of file types.
- StickyNotes Parser - Windows 7 StickyNotes follow the MS Compound Document binary format
- pdfinfo (part of the xpdf package) displays some metadata of PDF files.
- Free, cross-platform tool to extract metadata from many different file formats. Also supports writing
- Adroit Photo Forensics
- Displays meta data and uses date and camera meta-data for grouping, timelines etc.
- Exif Viewer
- Add-on for Firefox and Thunderbird that displays various JPEG/JPG metadata in local and remote images.
- open source utility to parse and edit exif data in JPEG images. Found in many Debian based distributions.
- Open source utility that reads exif data in JPEG and some "RAW" image formats. Found in many Debian based distributions.
- Open source C++ library and command line tool for reading and writing metadata in various image formats. Found in almost every GNU/Linux distribution
- Open source suite of commands (pnginfo, pngchunks, pngchunksdesc) that reads metadata found in PNG files. Found in many Debian based distributions.
- Open source command line tool that extracts metadata from PNG images. Found in many Debian based distributions.
These general-purpose programs frequently work when the special-purpose programs fail, but they generally provide less detailed information.
- Metadata Extraction Tool
- "Developed by the National Library of New Zealand to programmatically extract preservation metadata from a range of file formats like PDF documents, image files, sound files Microsoft office documents, and many others."
- The UNIX file program can extract some metadata
- GNU libextractor
- http://gnunet.org/libextractor/ The libextractor library is a plugable system for extracting metadata
- Directory Lister Pro
- Directory Lister Pro is a Windows tool which creates listings of files from selected directories on hard disks, CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs, floppies, USB storages and network shares. Listing can be in HTML, text or CSV format (for easy import to Excel). Listing can contain standard file information like file name, extension, type, owner and date created, but especially for forensic analysis file meta data can be extracted from various formats: 1) executable file information (EXE, DLL, OCX) like file version, description, company, product name. 2) multimedia properties (MP3, AVI, WAV, JPG, GIF, BMP, MKV, MKA, MPEG) like track, title, artist, album, genre, video format, bits per pixel, frames per second, audio format, bits per channel. 3) Microsoft Office files (DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT, PPTX) like document title, author, keywords, word count. For each file and folder it is also possible to obtain its CRC32, MD5, SHA-1 and Whirlpool hash sum. Extensive number of options allows to completely customize the visual look of the output. Filter on file name, date, size or attributes can be applied so it is possible to limit the files listed.