ATTENTION: The new home of the Digital Forensics Wiki is at https://forensicswiki.xyz/. Yeah, it's a silly name, but it was cheap.
This wiki will be going offline permanently in the near future. An exact date will be announced soon. Thank you for being a part of this community.
If you wish to work on the new forensicswiki, please join the Google Group forensicswiki-reborn
Document Metadata Extraction
Here are tools that will extract metadata from document files.
- Extracts metadata from various Microsoft Word files (doc). Can also convert doc files to other formats such as HTML or plain text.
- Outside In
- Originally developed by Stellant, supports hundreds of file types.
- pdfinfo (part of the xpdf package) displays some metadata of PDF files.
- Adroit Photo Forensics
- Displays meta data and uses date and camera meta-data for grouping, timelines etc.
These general-purpose programs frequently work when the special-purpose programs fail, but they generally provide less detailed information.
- Metadata Extraction Tool
- "Developed by the National Library of New Zealand to programmatically extract preservation metadata from a range of file formats like PDF documents, image files, sound files Microsoft office documents, and many others."
- The UNIX file program can extract some metadata
- GNU libextractor
- http://gnunet.org/libextractor/ The libextractor library is a plugable system for extracting metadata
- Directory Lister Pro
- Directory Lister Pro is a Windows tool which creates listings of files from selected directories on hard disks, CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs, floppies, USB storages and network shares. Listing can be in HTML, text or CSV format (for easy import to Excel). Listing can contain standard file information like file name, extension, type, owner and date created, but especially for forensic analysis file meta data can be extracted from various formats: 1) executable file information (EXE, DLL, OCX) like file version, description, company, product name. 2) multimedia properties (MP3, AVI, WAV, JPG, GIF, BMP, MKV, MKA, MPEG) like track, title, artist, album, genre, video format, bits per pixel, frames per second, audio format, bits per channel. 3) Microsoft Office files (DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT, PPTX) like document title, author, keywords, word count. For each file and folder it is also possible to obtain its CRC32, MD5, SHA-1 and Whirlpool hash sum. Extensive number of options allows to completely customize the visual look of the output. Filter on file name, date, size or attributes can be applied so it is possible to limit the files listed.
http://www.salvationdata.com/data-recovery-equipment/data-copy-king.htm Data copy king Data Copy King adopts UDMA-6 and is specially designed for TB-level hard drives of capacity up to 131072TB with an expecting speed at 9GB/min and a real tested speed at 6GB/min. Usually it will take up 5-6 hours to clone a hard drive with 300GB, while data copy king only spend 50 minutes to completing the whole cloning. Data copy king is the latest fastest hard drive duplication tool in 2010 for improving your work efficiency and increase your success rate of copying data with the brother imaging technologies used in data compass to repair and bypass bad sectors innovatively.