The Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) format is a commonly-used lossy image format.
Common file extensions are .jpg, .jpeg, .JPG, .JPE, and .jfif.
JPEG files can contain lots of metadata in several formats: Exif, IPTC, GPS, Camera Raw, etc. The exif and jhead command tools can extract and manipulate some of that metadata. Adroit Photo Forensics can be used to extract, view and group metadata from jpeg and camera Raw files. In iOS, the Photo Investigator can extract, view, and remove metadata from all images.
- Wikipedia: JPEG
- ISO/IEC 10918-1, Section: Annex B contains a detailed description of the JPEG file structure.
- JPEG File Interchange Format Version 1.02
- EXIF Specifications
- Exchangeable image file format for digital still cameras: Exif Version 2.2
- Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP)
- Adobe - XMP Specification