- 1 what about the validation of legal/illegal licenses of commercial software?
- 2 Global Directory of Analysts
- 3 List of OS changed files at boot time or poweroff.
- 4 Anti-forensic Tools Link on Homepage
- 5 Organizing Anti-Forensics and Page Naming query
- 6 File Header Page
- 7 Removal of non-contributing users
- 8 Tools table
what about the validation of legal/illegal licenses of commercial software?
I'm sometimes requested by the Courts to process with investigations in order to detect is a company is using software (e.g. AutoCad, MS Office, Adobe) with licenses or not. The evidence of such stuff is easy or not. The display of the "About" is sometimes enough but for some software the evidence is not so easy.
May I propose we open a new section to address such topics?
What do you think? --Chuv 04:16, 19 July 2007 (PDT)
- Sounds like a good idea. How about How to determine if software is legally licensed? It should probably go in the Category:Howtos. Jessek 16:11, 19 July 2007 (PDT)
Global Directory of Analysts
I am setting up a global directory of computer forensics analysts, and am looking for feedback to the idea. Although the directory is in the UK, I want it to be global. Any thoughts, please put them on Computer Forensics  in the forums section. Thanks and regards, Simon
- Given the lack of response I'm not sure this is a viable idea. Jessek 21:13, 26 February 2007 (PST)
- Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Simsong 18:50, 15 March 2007 (PDT)
- Response is small because the very idea and both sites are not well known within North America. Computer forensics here has been mostly a secondary role rather than a principal focus. To raise awareness of both efforts, this wiki and computer-forensics.co.uk, you need to get their existence promoted in major publications and the primary professional organizations.
List of OS changed files at boot time or poweroff.
Some times i found useful to know which files are changed on boot time of OS or on poweroff. For example to know what happened with OS ( Windows or Linux or ... ) what files to exclude or include by investigation. So i started collect this information with qemu and mactime. I think this wiki is the best place to post it, what do you think haw should i name it and the category? Also i will thankful if some one can correct my English.
Anti-forensic Tools Link on Homepage
The anti-forensic tools link on the homepage of this wiki doesn't appear to go to the proper page, but rather goes to a pro-forensic tools page. Do we have a page just for anti-forensic tools? It would appear to me that the internal link should point to that type of a page rather than one on pro-forensic tools. Thoughts? AEI Forensics
Organizing Anti-Forensics and Page Naming query
I've made a start on trying to organize the Anti-Forensics information creating a number of sections including Category:Anti-Forensics. I created a category for Category:Anti-Forensics Tools(uppercase) with out realising there was already a Category:Anti-forensics tools (lowercase). Is there any standardization on whether page titles should be upper or lower case? I would have though upper case being the better option... Fsck 22:43, 4 July 2008 (UTC)
File Header Page
Do we have a page on this forensic wiki devoted to File Header information such as specific file header and footer signatures or at least a page of links to known file header compendiums? Do we want one? AEI Forensics
I've started a weekly posting of forensics research. In my quick review of the other websites that come up when doing a google search for "computer forensics" it seems that nothing is really up-to-date, so perhaps we can start a more active community here. Perhaps this will grow into a blog roll. Simsong 23:46, 5 July 2008 (UTC)
Removal of non-contributing users
I've written a little SQL statement which will remove the 1100 or so usernames that have been registered but which have never contributed anything and have no talk. This was considered for the mediawiki project but never implemented (weird). Anyway, unless there is a suggestion, I'll go ahead and do it... Simsong 05:10, 20 August 2008 (UTC)
Is it possible to add Wireshark and NetworkMiner to the Tools table on the Main Page (here: Network Forensics: Snort, ... )? .FUF 17:08, 11 September 2008 (UTC) Simsong 04:40, 12 September 2008 (UTC) Done.