ForensicsWiki will continue to operate as it has before and will not be shutting down. Thank you for your continued support of ForensicsWiki.
VMWare Virtual Disk Format (VMDK)
There are multiple types of VMWare Virtual Disk Format (VMDK) files:
- 2GbMaxExtentFlat (or twoGbMaxExtentFlat); descriptor file (name.vmdk) with RAW extent data files (name-f###.vmdk). This image type is basically a split RAW image.
- 2GbMaxExtentSparse (or twoGbMaxExtentSparse); descriptor file (name.vmdk) with VMDK sparse extent data files (name-s###.vmdk)
- monolithicFlat; descriptor file (name.vmdk) with RAW extent data file (name-f001.vmdk). This image type is basically a RAW image.
- monolithicSparse; VMDK sparse extent data file (name.vmdk) which contains the descriptor file data.
The descriptor file defines how and where the data of the VMDK image is stored. The data is stored in extent data files.
Extent data file types
There are multiple types extent data files:
- RAW extent data file or device
- VMDK sparse extent data file
- COWD sparse extent data file