- "fdisk /mbr" restores the boot code in the Master boot record, but not the partition itself.
- BringBack offers easy to use, inexpensive, and highly successful data recovery for Windows and Linux (ext2) operating systems and digital images stored on memory cards, etc.
- Runtime Software's RAID Reconstructor will reconstruct RAID Level 0 (Striping) and RAID Level 5 drives.
- Claims to have a program that can read the "bad blocks" of Maxtor drives with proprietary commands.
Foremost is a console program to recover files based on their headers, footers, and internal data structures.
Scalpel is a fast file carver that reads a database of header and footer definitions and extracts matching files from a set of image files or raw device files. Scalpel is filesystem-independent and will carve files from FATx, NTFS, ext2/3, or raw partitions.
- EnCase comes with some eScripts that will do carving.
A virtual filesystem (fuse) implementation that can provide carving tools with the posibility to do recursive multi tool zero-storage carving (also called in-place carving). Patches and scripts for scalpel and foremost are provided. Works on raw and encase images.
A shared library that allows carving tools to use zero-storage carving on carvfs virtual files.
PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from Hard Disks and CDRom and lost pictures (thus, its 'Photo Recovery' name) from digital camera memory.
RevIt (Revive It) is an experimental carving tool, initially developed for the DFRWS 2006 carving challenge. It uses 'file structure based carving'. Note that RevIt currently is a work in progress.