- 1 Features
- 2 Forensics
- 3 Advanced Format (4KB Sector) Hard Drives
- 4 External Links
Introduced in Windows NT
Introduced in Windows 2000
Introduced in Windows XP
Introduced in Windows 2003 (Server)
Introduced in Windows Vista
- Search integrated in operating system
- Transactional NTFS (TxF)
- Transactional Registry (TxR)
Introduced in Windows 2008 (Server)
Introduced in Windows 7
Introduced in Windows 8
See also: Vista thumbcache.
The Web Browser History files can contain significant information. The default web browser that comes with Windows is Microsoft Internet Explorer but other common browsers on Windows are Apple Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera.
Setup log files (setupapi.log)
Windows Vista introduced several setup log files .
After (at least) Windows 7 recovers from sleep/hibernation there often is a system time change event (event id 1) in the event logs.
Windows stores a users Security identifiers (SIDs) under the following registry key:
The %SID%\ProfileImagePath value should also contain the username.
Advanced Format (4KB Sector) Hard Drives
Windows XP does not natively handle drives that use the new standard of 4KB sectors. For information on this, see Advanced Format.
- Wikipedia: Microsoft Windows
- Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Vista setup log file locations
- Mitchell Machor, The Forensic Analysis of the Microsoft Windows Vista Recycle Bin, 2008